Social security is more than a retirement fund. There are additional benefits you, your spouse and children could receive depending upon your situation.
- Retirement benefit for yourself.
- Retirement benefit based on your account for my spouse, if married at least 10 years,
- Disability benefit for yourself at any age you may become disabled.
- Disability benefit for your spouse as early as age 50 if married for at least 10 years and you are not deceased,
- Income benefits for your children under age 18 if I am deceased, disabled or receiving retirement benefits,
- Income benefits for your spouse if you have a child in your home under age 16 and you are deceased, disabled or drawing retirement benefits,
- Lifetime medical benefits for yourself at age 65 or earlier if disabled,
- Lifetime medical benefits for your spouse at age 65 or earlier if disabled.
- Income for your dependent parents if you are deceased, disabled or retired,
- Death benefit for your spouse upon your death.
Social Security has benefit calculators you can use to determine your retirement benefits, disability benefits, earnings test and more.